Tuesday, April 21, 2009

She is my friend...

Prior to the job I have now, I worked for a major corporation. When I started there four years ago, I felt extremely out of place. There used to be this kid, Paul, in my 2nd grade math class and everytime the teacher asked a question, Paul would flop around in his chair like a dying goldfish and wave his arm frantically in the air make "OOOoooo!!! Oooooo!!" noises while I sat in the back of the class eating chalk. Working there was like working with a thousand Pauls. Denise was pretty much my first friend there...someone I could really trust and I spent hours in her office griping about boyfriends and work and plotting to jump people at 3:15.

Denise and I became very close and I started depending on her for her moral support and her blunt advice. About a year ago, Denise found a tumor in her breast and was diagnosed with a staph infection. It was really breast cancer and she didn't find out until 9 months later. So they diagnosed her with Stage 2 breast cancer. After another medical miscalculation, she found that it has spread to her bones (4 of her vertebrae) and possibly her liver and brain. This would put her in stage 4 which is terminal.

Not to get too personal here, but Denise is a contractor and doesn't have health insurance. Also, if she doesn't work, she doesn't get paid. Her options at this point are going to be very hard on her body, her emotions and will be very very expensive as well. Please check out her website and donate if you feel inclined. She needs all the emotional and monetary support she can get. Her co-workers are also throwing her a spaghetti lunch fundraiser in May here in Houston. If you want to come, email me here.



She is a very special, beautiful person who is too young and full of life to be facing this kind of obstacle. I never ask people for money (parents and boyfriends excluded), but this is very very important to me. If you don't want to or are unable to donate funds, please stop by her blog and offer her words of support. She needs as much positive energy as she can get.
Denise rocks the house, y'all!

4 Comments:

Anonymous denise said...

YOU Rock! And you made me cry. Shoulders go both ways - You Listen To Me as Much as I Listen to You. I Love You and am Soooo Appreciative of Your Friendship...
Thanks :-)

8:30 AM  
Blogger The Grunt said...

You can count me in.

10:16 AM  
Blogger bronxbt said...

you are a wonderful person, as i'm sure denise is too. NO ONE should have to go thru that hell...

i did. years back. i'm still here thankfully.

give her my love, and hug yourself for me too. now to wander off to denise's site....

*hug*
B

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely ... it's the least I can do for all your entertainment (beats girating against a pole, doesn't it?)

I am two years in BC remission now and know how lucky I am to have caught it early enough. I was about to blow off my mammo when my husband gave me a push to get it done.

Off to donate now...

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home