Sunday, March 19, 2006

KidSpeak

So Brendan's little cousin, Abbi, who is 15 still calls and emails me. This is her latest email. It took me at least 15 minutes to translate it into English.

Crystal i hav like a really big prob in skool rite now.....my supposed to b bff is sayin that im a two face....and everyone says that im nott n that shes just bing a biotch but like sum of my supposed to b friends r like on her side and idk wat to do....she like made me cry like just now cuz she called me and she was like abbi i cant talk to u anymore cuz im gonna talk abut u cuz im two faced.....shes acting like it was all me that said that but she went around callin me names behind mi back and it like really hurts and its a small skool and like everyone knows now....and i hav no idea wat to do any more... write back love ya!! abbi

So I talked to Abbi on the phone. What do you say to something like this? Apparently her friends were making fun of a girl named Jennifer, who started crying, Abbi went to comfort her, and now her friend is mad at her for that. Now her "bff" is trying to exclude Abbi from everything and it makes me want to kick her ass. I know she is only 15, but it drives me crazy! I am so glad I'm not in high school anymore, although I have met some "adults" who act the same way. I just told her not to take any shit from anybody and to know that she's a good person and in a week it will all be over with and in the meantime she should tell her best friend to suck it. I know. I am the best advice giver ever.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

oh wow... tell her that it'll all work out in a few years when everyone isn't so awkward. :(

6:55 PM  
Blogger heatherfeather said...

tell her that learning to spell might clear up some of the confusion.

it's turning out that people are graduating from high school not knowing how to spell properly - IM and text has flushed spelling down the toilet. i wish i were kidding.

7:00 PM  
Blogger The Grunt said...

You have the gift of translation, Crystal. Older generations will need someone with your skills to bridge the gap between the younger ones, cuz itz like wot markis says, its like a problem.

That's cool that you still help her out.

8:16 PM  
Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

My younger sister makes me feel 50 years old. They didn't speak like this in my day. God save the queen.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Kylee said...

I wonder what teachers think when they read writing like this.

It is great that you are there for her regardless. I would never want to go back to being that age.....

5:23 AM  
Blogger Ruthie said...

I know what you mean. My cousin (now 26, but started this kind of spelling ahead of his time) has this to say on his Myspace profile.

"what to say well lets see its rilly not that fun I kick it with my frends alot we have big fires in the middle of the city. I am the only one of my frends that doesn't have kids so that putsa me ahead of da race. 26 years old not rilly to in to the whole computer thing but I'm trying to get more into it I go to school at a coummenty collage for allied health I like to cause construtive mayham not rilly that good of a speller typeis not that hard but thinking of the right letters to hit is pasttimes include trying to stay out of trobble forien films (memory of a killer was the last one that I saw) any kind of music that's hard playing music to is alot of fun kicen it in da woods beating up my frends thats most of it"

At least he acknowledges the problem. I get emails similar to that too.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Punctuation is your friend.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Ruthie said...

Or a complete stranger to some.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Chris Cope said...

As a professional copy editor, I think you may have given me a minor stroke.

12:47 PM  
Blogger kari said...

my kiddo has the same problem -- she stands up for the kids who are teased and then SHE catches grief for having a conscience.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Neal said...

This is reason #513 that I don't date fifteen year olds. Anymore.

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home