Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Rant

As I’ve mentioned before, I do environmental and regulatory compliance for one of the biggest oil companies in the world. I get attacked about the cost of fuel on a regular basis. I am so tired of people crying about gas prices!

First – I cannot do anything about it. I am a peon. A peon with a great ass, but a peon nonetheless.

Second – I have received emails encouraging people to boycott certain gas companies to force a “Gas War”. I have one reaction to that: Hahahahahahahaha. As far as profit from gasoline, banks make all the money from that – very little goes into the pockets of oil companies. The company I work for makes most of its profits on the crude itself. If everyone in America boycotted our gas, it would not make a significant dent in profits. It would not force them to lower gas prices.

Third – It is a privilege to drive in this country – not a right. If you have such a huge problem with gas prices, don’t drive an SUV. Take the bus! Ride a bike! Carpool! You got feet. Use ‘em! There are so many other options, but Americans tend to take and take and take from the earth and not expect to pay for it and then cry about it. It’s time to shut up and switch your lifestyle. That’s the only way you will be able to make an impact on your life.

Ok, I am done. I feel better now. Don’t you?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crystal,
I too work in oil & gas (production accountant) and I get so bluddy tired of people complaining to me about prices. Guess what, assholes??? I have to buy gas too. @ the same damn price you do!... Ok, so I make a killing on stock options, but that's besides the point! :P
V

1:45 PM  
Blogger Ruthie said...

Thank you Crystal. I especially like the changing your lifestyle part even if you are about to buy a tt.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Blur said...

Never underestimate a peon with a great ass.

At least your Oil companies are deflacting attention away from my employer. Here is an example:

Cute Boulder Girl: What do you do?
Me: I work in the United States Antarctic Program.
Girl: You work for the government? (with obvious concern).
Me: No, I work for Raytheon.
Girl: The big defense contractor? (with a dismissive yet hostile tone)
Me: Would you believe I work in group that does science support?
Girl: How can you work for a company that makes missiles?
Me: Because I don't make missiles, I support science groups from around the world and help get their data from South Pole to Universities scattered across the planet.
(girl can't stand to look at someone who builds missiles and walks away.)

8:05 PM  
Blogger The Grunt said...

Hey, I blew 50 bucks on gas 4-wheelin' on Monday. It was worth it! Gas is still pretty darn cheap in North America, when you start comparing prices around the world.

Wow, you and Vera are both oil pimps. Cool.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I don't have a big problem with gas going up, hopefully it will make people start to rethink driving the Hummer.

Just tell people to start buying stock in the oil companies, they can recoup the money no problem.

Scott

6:57 AM  
Blogger Logophile said...

I ride a motorcycle as much as possible for errands, 100 to the gallon baby, it the best way to fly.
But Crystal, I promise never to hold you responsible for gas prices.
However, you are responsible for a considerable impact on the nice ass market.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home