Thursday, June 01, 2006

Friendly Girl

I have never been one of the Pretty Girls. Every friend that I have is a Pretty Girl. I have always been the girl that guys get to know through a Pretty Girl and then ask me out because I’m Friendly (and by Friendly, I mean incredibly Slutty and when I say that, I am totally kidding because I am the Biggest Tease in 4 counties).

Yesterday was hectic. I got off work, went to the car dealership to sign papers, picked Mom up, visited my Great Aunt Mary Ann in the hospital and then went to eat with Mom at this tapas place called Mi Luna. All of this in the rain. I was working my afro, had no make-up left and looked completely exhausted.

When we got to the restaurant, I noticed this beautiful man staring at me. I asked Mom if I had a Bat in the Cave (as Neal so eloquently put it). Then I thought that maybe I knew him from somewhere. We sat. He stared. I smiled. He smiled. He stared. He went back to talking with his friends. Mom called Dad at 9:06 (6 minutes late – They talk every night at 9pm. Isn’t that sweet?). While they were on the phone, Staring Guy walks up to the table and says (How’s this for a line) My friends and I were trying to pick out the most beautiful woman here, and as soon as you walked in I knew it was you. He handed me a dinner napkin that he had tried to form into a flower. I gave him my card. AFTER I’d already given it to him, I found out he is an orthopedic surgeon and I’ve learned that doctors cannot be trusted! But, oh well, there’s no harm in fun, right? I am not a dumb girl. I figured he probably did this to everyone. I kept an eye on him in my peripherals and several gorgeous women came in and he didn’t give them a second look. I kept asking my mom if this was a joke. Was he just making fun of me because I am so Un-pretty? Mom said I looked great but she has to say that because she invented me. I had a message waiting for me this morning when I got to work asking me to go to the movies.

What is in the air? Is this guy kidding? Maybe he had one too many shots or one too many glasses of wine. But if it means I get to hit that, then I don’t really care what’s in the air.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Grunt said...

I'd thought that you'd get it by now, chica. Get over it, you're good looking. Enjoy his company. Don't sabatoge it.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

oh. my. god.

am i actually pretty?!

seriously, i think i have spent so much time feeling crappy about myself and being in my friends' shadows that i never thought i was.

maybe i am a little pretty, after all.

hmmm.

doesn't make me feel any different. i thought that being pretty would lighten my load, but it doesn't. crap.

9:21 AM  
Blogger The Grunt said...

Yeah, and that's why I think my writing sucks. It just make me want to write better. So correspondingly, you worry yourself into total hotness. In the shadows? I want proof of this, chica. Post naked pictures of these so-called hot friends of yours.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Barry said...

OK, I am gonna say something - but don't take this the wrong way.

There can be two pretty women somewhere - equally pretty or even one 'less pretty ' by some standards - but one emits a something - maybe it is seen in your smile, a twinkle in your eye ( I have no clue, I have never seen you in real life so I am just pondering) but the one who can emit the inner beauty will be noticed...

Ok maybe corny - but ask any guy - it is so true

12:12 PM  
Blogger Chief Scientist said...

I can answer this. You stared at the guy the whole time so he knows he's in, but he still has to play it by the numbers.

Besides, it's usually neurologists who are the raging alcoholics, so this one is probably okay. My vote is you call him. And yes, we are all deciding your love life by votes on the internet.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Neal said...

I'm with The Grunt on this one, more nude photos of your friends. Let your online friends be the judge of who's pretty. We wouldn't lie, none of us are doctors.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home