Friday, September 08, 2006

I Love You....

THWACK!

But I'm not your f*cking whore.


I love that movie. I thought of that line last night while breaking ties with a fellow I have been seeing for recreational purposes only.

I knew what I was getting myself into when I signed up for the sport. I really did. I was only playing it for the thrill of the game - not to win any trophies or championships or even bond with the team.

We are totally different and don't have the same views on all the important things you're supposed to have the same views on when you are with someone. What we lacked in mental compatibility, we made up for (+some) in physical chemistry.

Since I am not ready to play professionally, this seemed like the perfect arrangement. Then I realized that there wasn't much point in playing because eventually we will both lose. Like that Material Issue song, "I'd like to wake up with you early in the morning, Stay up late just playing records on your phonograph, I'd like to get to know your mother and your father, maybe just once pretend to be somebody's better half, and I would like to tell the very first lie". That's where it always winds up. The first lie. The first foul. The game will eventually be over and no matter how much you say you don't like to watch it, you still are bummed when the team you rooted for loses (even if you chose them only because they had cute jerseys).

Then I watched Shopgirl. That was a great movie. At one point, she says, "Hurt now or hurt later?.......Now."

Right on sister.

I don't know what is going to happen, but I sure as heck don't want to stick around and either 1) fall in love with the guy (fat chance) or 2) become so comfortable playing this game that I don't want to branch out and try different sports. And really...who wants to miss out on an opportunity for rugby because you are too busy playing ping pong?

9 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Easy now, whores have feelings too ya know.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Ruthie said...

Good call. I loved Shopgirl.

4:07 PM  
Blogger The Grunt said...

I think I know who this is and you are right on. I second Ekki's statement on this. w00t!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm taking Falkor out for a ride tonight. I could swing down and pick you up. Scotland is pretty nice about this time of the year. We could go anywhere you want, though. However, Falkor might want you all to himself. That fluffy so and so!

12:01 AM  
Blogger jules said...

As one who plays multiple sports, let me tell you, it's much more fun. Variety is the spice of sport....or something like that. Plus the equipment is so much more fun to handle when you're not limited to one.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Somebody almost said the "F" word. I'm telling. I don't know who I'm telling but I am.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Maddie said...

I had completely forgotten about Chasing Amy. I used to LOVE that movie! Will have to add it to my netflix and bump shopgirl up a few.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL! I can definitely relate to that one! It has been said that variety is the spice of life ... and in this case, I say why stick with one sport when there are so many other ones you've never played?
:)

p.s. bloghopped over from Jules place!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Good points. Lots of them. Fabulous movies.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home