Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Question

Is it disrespectful to kick an elderly man in the groin?

I used to get annoyed with people who complained about discrimination in the workplace. I saw it as a crutch – a scapegoat for those who were to lazy to live up to their potential.

Then I started working in the oil industry and was (am still) shocked at the general attitude toward women. It is true that women (and other minorities) have to bust hump twice as much as men to reap the same rewards. I am learning to be a strong woman. I am learning to say no. I am learning to deal with it.

It is the way the world is. I don’t whine about it.

However, yesterday was an exception. I am having problems with the dealership that I bought the Audi from. Apparently they have not paid the note on the Mustang I traded in, so I am still getting car payments from the Mustang debited from my account. I am in the process of closing that bank account so when this happens, everything bounces. Yesterday marked the second time this happened and it is incredibly inconvenient. The first time, I was sweet as pie. I understand people make mistakes.

I also have not received my plates and I bought the car over 2 months ago.

I asked a few people how I should handle the situation and the majority of folks suggested I bring a big mean man friend with me to the dealership. I didn’t want to do that. I am learning how to manage without having to depend on a man to get things done for me. (I did call my father for advice. Fathers don’t count.)

The owner of the dealership met me at the door. I bought my new car from the same man – in his 60s, white man from England.

He: Let’s go get you a check
Me: Do you know what the problem is here?
He: No.
Me: Is this acceptable to you?
He: No.
Me: Then why has it happened twice?
He: Dunno.
Me: Although I didn’t buy one of your more expensive cars, I still deserve the same respect as your other customers.
He: How much?
Me: $405. I don’t feel like I am being treated with the same respect.
He: Walks away



I never received an apology.

There is little doubt in my mind that if I were a rich man, I would have gotten a little more respect. Since I am a young female, he doesn’t feel the need to explain anything to me. If I could have gotten away with it, I would have repeatedly slammed my high heel into the doorway of his trousers until he said he was “terribly sorry for the inconvenience, ma’am. Would you like a bottle of water?” Then I would have been fine.

I told him I expect a faxed document by the end of the week confirming that the issue has been resolved. He agreed, but didn’t bother to ask for my fax number.

Any suggestions on how I should handle this situation?

7 Comments:

Blogger The Grunt said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:17 AM  
Blogger The Grunt said...

What a dick! I usually handle these guys with persistence. I call it the Chinese water torture technique. You don't need to bare your teeth much for this to work. the down side to this is that it takes a lot of your energy.

Get his email address as well. Flood him with emails until he gets on the ball. Women's strength and power rests in the "nag". Men can handle insults and physical pain. They can't deal with constant nagging.

If that doesn't work, I'll send Bubba down to teach him some manners.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed with Grunt. An added touch is to CC anyone and everyone(!!): their boss; their boss' boss; the bank; you great aunt syliva; the janitor @ the dealership. Start with three emails/day. One first thing in the morning. One @ lunch and one right before you go home. In addition, leaving messages for him and his boss would work wonders too. If this gets you nowhere in 3 days then I would threaten the use of a lawyer stating breech of sale contract.
And by Bubba, Grunt meant himself! He's a tough cookie, ya know. Like a GingerSnap! I'm more of a chocolate covered marshmallow cookie...

11:40 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

yeah just call him often and bug the shit out of him. also tell him that you had a couple of friends that you were thinking of referring there but not anymore.

If not, kick him in the junk.

Scott

12:06 PM  
Blogger Me Myself and I said...

Or if you don't get the satisfaction you deserve you could write a letter or take out an ad in the local paper. Maybe the loss of business will teach that jackass a lesson!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Stargazer said...

I would have to agree with the kicking in the junk. You sound very tough! I am trying to get to the point of being able to be a grownup in those types of situations but I usually end up getting so frustrated I cry in the car on the way home. I hope this resolves itself!

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In addition to emails (See? the grunt had my same advice!) and faxes, I would also check the Better Business Bureau and inquire if the company has had any other complaints. If you continue to have problems, let me know, baby. He wouldn't want to deal with me. Love, Mom

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home